Saturday, January 5, 2013

Tutorial: How to make your Own flexible Molds

For this last weekend I made this beautiful Sweet 16 cake, and I wanted to give the cake a little nice touch on a bow I wanted to incorporate to the cake's design.  My Friend's daughter sent me a picture of her Sweet 16 party Dress; what better place to find inspiration for a cake than from the dress itself? So all this cake was actually inspired by the dress: from bottom ruffle roses, texture on topper tier, bow and pearls.  I realized this is  a great time to show you something I learned on  Cake Central few years ago.  Yes that place is a great place to learn and I have learned tons of good information there. I must say, it used to be funnier and easier but, We still can find amazing great information for almost any cake problem, and yes there are still so many amazing cake friends that DO actually share what they know!!! and that is awesome, Thank you all!!!.

 As you might know, I love saving money of course, and I really hate when I spend money on things I can do myself,  I know  that is imposible to do it all; but definitely sometimes we can do certain things, it is just a matter to give it a try.  When  I found this useful information on how to make your own molds,I couldn't help it but go straight to get this product and start my own production. This molds can be used on food: chocolate, fondant, gumpaste (not so sure about candy) and some other uses like for making soap.
 I started wondering and that is why I wanted to share this with you: Have you ever been at Michael's and find some beautiful brooch you would loove to use on your next cake, but is not anywhere to find it in the cake market???... well you can actually make your own molds!!! yeahhhh and here is how:



This is what you need : the brooch that you would like to get a mold  from, and this product called AMAZING MOLD PUTTY,  you can find all information about this product at their web site linked here. I found it at Michael's and of course I used my weekly coupon :) 

 All instructions are on the box but I will still show you how I made my own mold.This product has two types of putty: A & B; both have to be mixed together in order to has a chemical reaction and produce this type of silicone. One important thing about this product: you need to work fast !!! you have around 7 minutes or less to make your mold.  (This is your Mission Impossible, LOL) So keep that in mind.




 You need to mix them well, I believe they come in two different colors so you can see they are totally mixed when there is no more white trace on the final product.




 Once you have a putty ball completely mixed, push it against the brooch. Just push it, don't move it side to side. We are trying to get a cast from this brooch and if you move it then you might obtain a  misshaped final result.



 
Let dry for at least 30 minutes or more but this is actually a really fast process. 




 Once is ready, trim any excess you find around your mold



Once is trimmed, you are ready to use your custom made brooch!!! I use either Gumpaste or fondant. Gumpaste gives you a sturdier brooch and you can make several of these for future use. Remember to use some shortening when kneading your Gumpaste or fondant so it will come out of your mold easily. Make a small ball and push it inside the mold.



  This is a flexible mold which actually makes it a great mold, because allows you to easily take your gumpaste brooch out of the mold.




Tadaaaaa!!!! lovely isn't it?



Some luster Dust will help the brooch to show all its details


Here is my custom made brooch looking lovely on this beautiful cake




I made all of these and some more with 2 boxes of this super cool putty. Enjoy.



Cake Hugs, Joly!!!

6 comments:

  1. Good idea Joly! How long do you let the putty sit on the brooch before you remove it to dry? Just enough to form the impression?
    Thank for sharing!
    -- Shobha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In around 15 minutes is completely dry. I let it rest longer about 30 min. But it will also depend on how big is your piece

      Delete
  2. joly me podrias decir que producto exacto contiene para saber si en espaƱa puedo conseguirlo gracias

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Solo tengo los envases donde viene el producto y no la caja. Pero creo que esto es lo que buscas:
      http://www.alumilite.com/MSDS/Amazing%20Mold%20Putty.pdf

      todos los componentes estan aqui. LLamales a ver si te hacen el envio hasta alla!!! Saludos

      Delete
  3. First I would like to say Amazing just Amazing! Thank you so much for sharing. Just a quick question what brand of fondant do you use for the rose teir?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you ever tried to put melted chocolate in this type of mold to make little candies? The last molding putty I bought was fine for fondant and clay, but I had a very hard time getting the hardened chocolate to release cleanly. Thanks for the great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete